Monday, September 5, 2011

Stationary UFO sphere photographed in Denmark

Stationary UFO sphere photographed resting on a cloud in the sunset over Denmarks third biggest city, Odense, September 13, 2009 7.36 pm local time. I was on my way home on a bicycle trip from a visit with my mom and had my new Sony Alpha 100 reflex camera with me, not to take UFO pictures, but merely to photograph and learn to use my new camera. I stopped on my bicycle near Niels Bohrs avenue between grocery store Bilka and South-Danish University and took several pictures of a beautiful sunset, but without discovering a gray-black spherical object that apparently "rested" on a cloud in the horizon. In the original but scaled down picture below, you can barely see a dark spot in the cloud where the arrow points to. It was about the same in the field, close to the sight I had, and the object or phenomenon would have been difficult to discover anyway. But while I took pictures, I did saw something that was reminiscent of a tube-shaped object, but I found out it was just a cloud which quickly went out of shape and I continued taking photos. A few days later when I looked the images through (a total of 14 photos of the sunset), I managed to delete 10 of them because of poor photo quality, and at that time my trash can on my desktop was set to delete immediately. Right after that I noticed this thing on the cloud, which for me definitely looks like a spherical object, a ball, that is stationary.


Too bad the 10 photographs were lost, because they could have shed further light on what kind of phenomenon I photographed. But fortunately I kept the four best images in high resolution (3872x2592 pixels), so everyone can see with their own eyes and judge for them self, whether it is a local thickening in meteorological sense, or an unidentified flying object, a UFO. The object in the photos is not 100% in focus, because I didn´t focus on that particular object, but the red and orange colored clouds right above it, as you can see in above picture. So I made an attempt to make the object as clear as possible and experimented myself forward to the outcome you can see below, by adjusting brightness / contrast and using the Auto Levels (Auto tone) in Photoshop.


I would also like to see how the UFO behaved from the time when I shot the first picture to the time I shot the last and fourth picture (the 4 best photos were taken in a series with few seconds between), and made an animation in Photoshop, by to put the 4 images (here below in grayscale) on top of each other in the same frame and then fix the object in the same position on all 4 images. In the animation below, the images are played back by 0.8 sec. intervals and the animation below shows clearly a spherical object located in a stationary position, while the surrounding clouds passing the object both behind and ahead from left to right.


Note that the four images were not taken with exactly the same angle. I had the camera in hand and not on tripod, and changed the angle a bit while I took the pictures. Dust on the lens as theory is therefore not relevant, as it would have revealed itself as the object would have moved around with the frame as a second layer upon the image, instead of sitting still in the same place on the cloud stripe. There is also a reflection of light from the sun that hits the object on the top, which probably is not exactly the effect you would expect with a speck of dust on the lens, and certainly not if it was on the CCD.

Image 1.
07:36:26pm
‏‎

Image 2.
07:36:30pm

Image 3.
07:36:34pm

Image 4.
07:36:40pm

Below an illustration of the observation point. I have been a few times on the ground to make sure that the direction of the white arrow points in, around 273-274 degrees west, is the most accurate direction to where the object should be. The object is located about 10-15 degrees above horizon, but I am not sure if that is the real number. I do not know the distance to the cloud stripe which the object is sitting on. I guess it is at least 2-3 km away from my position, maybe much more. I use a standard lens (3.5-5.6/18-70) and the focal length on all four photos was 70,00(mm). If you study the second picture from the top, which is one of the non-cropped originals, it might give you an idea of the distance to the object (or phenomenon).


©2011 Google Map data ©2011 Terms of Use


Basic observation data


This observation was reported to MUFON (Mutual UFO Network) and SUFOI (Scandinavian UFO Information), and in connection with reporting to SUFOI were 2 of a total of 4 images evaluated by John Cappelen on DMI (Danish meteorological Institute). Below is an extract of SUFOI's UFO-mail No. 112 back in 2009.

Local meteorological phenomenon says DMI

SUFOI's Photo Department turned naturally enough to the Danish Meteorological Institute, DMI, who are experts in this type of phenomena in the sky.

Senior Climatological John Cappelen subsequent replies:
The pictures does not tell me much beyond the purely meteorological. One can always find weird stuff on skypictures - then by analyzing them ... and things that are seen also depends on the eye of the beholder.

In meteorological terms, clouds in the picture was attached to a front that separated cool air with rain over southeast Denmark from warmer air to the northwest. There was no altocumulus or altostratus, some places with a little structure and localized in two layers. With a little effort you can also see a single short fall stripe.

The dark stain that has not changed between the two images, is in my opinion due to a local thickening, eventually the shadow by a cloud behind.

End of quote ~ John Cappelen, DMI


SUFOI concludes:
So there is after DMI's expert opinion no doubt, that the dark pattern is a local meteorological phenomenon that only in this case has come to look very strange in the photographs.

End of quote ~ SUFOI

My note regarding John Cappelen and SUFOI

I am glad that climatologist John Cappelen from DMI has seen some of the pictures. From what I understand from his statement, he concludes nothing but just feel that it may be a local thickening, perhaps the shadow of a cloud behind. My own personal experience with photography in general, in light of the over 4800 images I have taken so far of clouds and cloud formations, tells me, that John Cappelen's presumption may well be correct. But you should also just remember, that his opinion is an opinion, and not a solid scientific conclusion on anything, but merely a presumption and the door is therefore still open to more possible explanations. So I am not satisfied with SUFOI then they, on John's Cappelen´s behalf, draws the conclusion, that there is no doubt, that it is merely a local meteorological phenomenon..!

I do think that an expert photographer should have looked at the pictures just as you should have studied what was in the airspace at the time, so one could say with a good gut feeling that you've tried the options available that could shed light on what kind of a phenomenon I photographed, but this did not happen and on a very thin base, my UFO was dismissed as pure air...

Other UFO spheres

I think these metallic-gray spheres are relatively rare, but I found another UFO sphere that was photographed April 8, 2007 in Texas but recently reported to MUFON September 25, 2011, which is described as a grayish-black colored sphere. This could well be a balloon, but I wonder if not the witness is able to determine whether it is a balloon borne involuntarily around by the wind or whether it is an object that is dead-on stationary in the air?

"This object made no noise, and as I could tell, did not move, spin, or rotate in any way. It just remained in the sky as if it was just there to settle itself." ~ end of quote

The size of this sphere seems to be much smaller than the one in my photos, but judge for yourself here: Texas woman gets close to hovering sphere and snaps photo

Another one that caught my eye, is Antonio Urzi´s new UFO pictures from September 19, 2011, that shows a dark gray metallic sphere moving around near by another and bigger craft, that looks like George Adamski´s classic disc-shaped craft with the three round elements at the bottom. The problem with Antonio Urzi is, that he has been lucky to photograph quite a few unidentified flying objects around his roof apartment in Milano, Italy, and people in general thinks it must be faked UFOs, because how can one man photograph so many objects? But we have the technology today to reveal fake photography, and as long no one can prove it´s fake, you may conclude, that there is a good possibility for, that it must be genuine, right?

Navigate this blog: UFO pictures | UFO sightings | UFO related

2 comments:

Kleanthis01 said...

The problem with great sightings like this one is the very poor resolution and the lack of corroborating witnesses.

jillh10 said...

I wonder if this is like the tunnels reported to be seen inside the bermuda triangle..so many questions for this one..nice one and thank you for posting in alienexistence